

Our little pumpkin!
1st Art Project...finger/hand painting


Finished product! Mackenzie had so much fun painting!
We hit a little bump in the road with Mackenzie the last two weeks. I finally got her switched to a new doctors. Thankfully the new doctor's office is wonderful and helped me out. SO to make a long story short I took Mac into the doctors yesterday because Mac had changed totally and seemed very unhappy. Luckily nothing major was wrong with her but it does appear that reflux has come back. Boo! She also appears to be fighting off a virus. She is back to sleeping through the nights or at least till 4:30 or 5am which I will take. She has been napping on me (since the crying it out method just wasn't working). One step at a time I tell myself. She is currently in the swing, which I was going to have Kyle put away last weekend. I guess there was a reason why it was not taken down to the basement. I tell myself that all moms go through these phases and stages but it just kills me to not know what is wrong.
Going to the doctor just comforted me because I wanted to hear it was nothing major. Since the dr thinks it's reflux we are going back to the basics with food. Rice. Oh Mac is going to be so sad since she hasn't found a food she doesn't like.
When Mackenzie has been happy she has made some progress with her mobility. She finally figured out how to roll from her back to tummy. She loves rolling from one side to the other. She also really really wants to be able to stand on her own and sit up. I find her on the bed and floor trying to pull her self up to the sitting position. I am afraid it will take her awhile.
I finally got into the fall spirit with some cooking yesterday and today. It has been a few years since I have experienced fall. I thought I would share some yummy recipes that I have made. The soups are great to make and freeze for later!
Brunswick Stew with Smoked Paprika-cookinglight
(thanks mom for making it for me when I was home, loved it so much thought I would share!)
Ingredients
- 2 cups (3/4-inch) cubed Yukon gold potato
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bacon slices, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Preparation
Combine first 7 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken, paprika, salt, and pepper; simmer 15 minutes.
Butternut Squash Risotto-cookinglight
(Last nights dinner, yummy! I added another step by baking the squash for about 20 minutes on 400 before chopping it. That way the squash was nice and soft in the Risotto and easier to cube.)
Ingredients
- 2 cups water, divided
- 2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans low-salt beef broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Preparation
Bring 1 1/2 cups water and broth to a simmer in a large saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 8 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 cup water, squash, salt, and pepper; cook 10 minutes or until squash is tender and water has almost evaporated. Add rice; stir until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add the remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in cheese, butter, and parsley. Serve immediately.
Lentil Soup-Alton Brown
Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery

- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable
broth - 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground grains of paradise
Directions
Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and grains of paradise and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency. Serve immediately.
Enjoy! Almost Halloween!
No comments:
Post a Comment